Elecciones
Due to heavy campaigning, heavy drinking, loud discussions and loud music, school is cancelled the next 3 days for the Dominican Republic Presidential Elections which take place on Friday. I've had some interesting conversations with some Dominican friends and have been comparing their complaints and desires with those of us Americans who have also been discussing who should be the next President of the United States. Here are some comments I've heard, "The ones in power have all of the money, the price of food is rising, the electricity is still inconsistent, we've heard too many promises that can't be kept." A few of those may sound familiar...but there are for sure more economical complaints since this country is still struggling so much with poverty. These issues above (corruption - money and power, food prices, electricity) are of equal importance to Dominicans as to Americans are our war, health care, environmental issues. So who will it be?
Leonel again? "E' pa' 'lante q' vamo Presidente."

Miguel Vargas - MVP? "Ya se va, ya se va...e' pa' fuera q' van."

I do care, but I am not hopeful that much will change with any of them...what a sad situation. But I will be celebrating whoever wins at the beach this weekend with a group of 15 friends! It's our last hoorah with everyone together...I can't wait to relax and do some body surfing in the ocean with my favorite people here.


1 Comments:
Who won? How was the weekend? When will you be home to USA? When in CA? So many questions...sent with lots of love GM
3:06 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home