Welcome to my blog...I hope to have regular updates and pictures added here to show you what my life is like teaching here in the Dominican Republic.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007

en un mes

In one month, you can't imagine all that can happen...at least I didn't think a month ago that so much would have happened. I've never shared so much on my blog - but here's what's been going on the past month:

My family came to visit me in the DR for Thanksgiving, my parents and I had a great weekend before Nick and Whitney arrived. Then, after one good day and good night with my brother and sister-in-law...I came down with Dengue fever. To make a long story short, it got worse and worse, high fevers, body aches, then diarrhea and vomiting. I ended up in the emergency room in Santiago after 5 days of trying to battle it. After an IV full of liquids and some medicine, my platelets started rising, I went back the next day for more tests and it was promising...I was regaining energy and feeling better. Here's a pic of my family and Natan and I on my one good night together.


While I was what I thought was dying with Dengue, the little time that I was awake and coherent - I had time to think and pray about my health. I had said it a million times, "I'm sick of being sick." So as I had conversations with my family and Natan, I decided that it would be best to go back to the States a little early for Christmas to see my doctors and have some tests done.

I went to my doctor the first day back and to her (and my) surprise, I had lost 20 lbs. and was just not healthy - I listed off all the parasites, infections, viruses, and then Dengue that I have had the past few months, also other issues (girl stuff and emotional stuff). So after blood tests, they thankfully found everything normal, expect for my liver function which they suspected was from the high fevers I had from Dengue (which is by the way caused by a mosquito). After a week they did more tests and gracias a Dios, my liver function was back to normal...one thing off the list!

The next day I got results from a pap-smear, which my doctor was thinking I'd probably need to have surgery while I was home - and THAT came back normal...after all I had gone through with that the past year! I'm being vague about this because it's girl stuff - so if you ever want to ask, I'll talk about it, but I'll spare the blog - just thank Jesus with me that everything's normal and I don't need surgery!

Some other issues I've been dealing with the past couple months have to do with stress and my emotional health. Please pray for me as I make decisions for my future and continue learning how to take care of myself.

For some not-so-depressing news...I've been able to see some of the people in my life that really love me and understand what I'm dealing with. I'm so thankful for the support of my family and friends here. Here's a picture of my best friend Renee and I who has been so great to laugh with and to vent to :).

Here's a picture of Marcos, Frandy and Josue on my last day with my kids which happens to be the day I probably got bit by the mosquito that conveniently had Dengue.



I miss my kids and people in my life down there so much and hope that by January 5th I will feel healthy, rested, and refreshed to return confidently.

Thanks for all your prayers and notes...if you got my newsletter, you probably saw that I am still in need of donations. Especially with all these doctors bills I have now (I don't have insurance in the States), I hope that you'll consider giving a gift to get me through the rest of the year. If you can't, please continue praying for me!

Have a Merry Christmas and may you also find health, rest, and refreshment. Feliz Navidad!

1 Comments:

Blogger BlueSkies said...

Keep trying to leave you a comment. My tech skill is zilch, do not know the problem---but will try again. Now that you are back in the DR I pray all is well and that you have joy in the memeory of the trip home, even with the ups and downs. God Bless and keep you! Take good care of you Love GM

6:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home