Welcome to my blog...I hope to have regular updates and pictures added here to show you what my life is like teaching here in the Dominican Republic.

Monday, March 10, 2008

en una semana

I'll do a fun story before the no-fun story...

Yesterday I experienced my first Dominican "jira" at the river. Natan and I drove up to Las Guasaras with his brother, cousin, and a few friends to cook some chivo (goat) and rice. The river is still pretty cold, but I at least got half-way in...it was a fun day full of food, music, laughter, and observing the many Dominicans cooking their own food over a fire, playing dominos, and drinking lots of Brugal and Presidente. Here's the goat we cooked...
-

Here's Natan and I - happy to get our minds off lots of stress for the day...


And here's me and the boys...Elias (Natan's brother), me :), Ciao, Gibran (Natan's cousin), and in front, Hegan.


I had a really nice weekend after a pretty tough week...which leads me to the no-fun story: in a week from today, I will be back in Michigan for surgery. My health this semester still hasn't been great and after a few months of different doctors, different medications, an endoscopy, blood tests, and an ultrasound, they found that I have gastritis and gallstones - maybe caused from Dengue and losing so much weight so fast, but they don't know for sure. So, after praying about it and talking to many people, I decided do the surgery in the States. They have to remove my gall bladder, which I guess is a routine laproscopic surgery, but I definitely feel more comfortable doing it there, and then will have my parents to take care of me after the operation (recovery time is about 2 weeks). So, I don't know how long I'll be there, I'm hoping just 3 weeks - one week is Spring Break for us, so I'd then just be missing 2 weeks of school. Please pray for me, I'm not excited but I do know it's necessary and will help me to feel better again.
-
I will keep you updated and hope to hear from you soon!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home