Welcome to my blog...I hope to have regular updates and pictures added here to show you what my life is like teaching here in the Dominican Republic.

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dia de San Valentin


Happy Valentine's Day!

Usually I just blog about what's going on in my life...today, here's a little reflection on what's in my mind and heart.

I think in Spanish we have the right idea...there are three words for our one in English..."love". Amar, querer and encantar. I love my students differently than I love my family; I love chocolate differently than how I will love my future husband. I love the beach differently than how I love my best friend. Yes, I love them ALL - but in Spanish the word is more specific to how I love them. We don't have to clarify. But, even though in English we just have one word to describe how much or in what way we love something, it's still a pretty sweet word and feeling :).

In the Bible, especially in the New Testament - love is defined as the culture of the era. I've been reflecting on that today...especially living here in a totally different culture. Is love the culture of my home? Is love the culture of my classroom? Is love the culture of my life?

Yeah, Valentine's Day is a little cheesy...but if it lets you eat a little more chocolate, spend a little more time with the ones you love, or reminds you of the love in your life, then thanks Mr. St. Valentine.

P.S. My best friend that I love sooo much is coming in 6 days!!! Renee, Andy and Fonz will be here the 20th and I'm so dang excited :)!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home