Welcome to my blog...I hope to have regular updates and pictures added here to show you what my life is like teaching here in the Dominican Republic.

Monday, August 20, 2007

toi casi lista

I'm sorry it's taken me so long to update this...between moving my classroom and moving into our house, things have been pretty crazy. I'm excited for a normal schedule and my regular slow Dominican life! School starts tomorrow, so the past couple weeks we've had staff orientations, curriculum planning, other meetings and time to prepare our classroom. Here's a picture of my new classroom, it's a lot bigger so I'm way excited. It's still a little messy, a couple more hours and it'll be ready for my 17 first graders tomorrow :).



I feel ready for the new school year to begin...this being my second year, I feel a lot more comfortable and at least know somewhat what I want for my kids. I'm SO thankful because I have an assistant in the mornings this year . His name is Mark, and he has been very helpful already. I'm also very thankful for the work that Melanie (the Kindergarten teacher) did last year with the kids that I will have. They are so much more prepared than my kids were last year!
-
Speaking of things to be thankful for, here's our new house! My friend Amanda and I moved in last week and have enjoyed making it feel more like home. It's a great house, it's a perfect location, and Amanda's a wonderful roommate :). It's been so refreshing to have my own space where I can feel comfortable, where I can cook and have friends over whenever we want (and visitors...hint, hint)!


The past few weeks have also been filled with catching up with people. Here's a picture of Shelly, Amanda, and some of the monks, they were so excited to see us...they had gifts, they made us good old fashioned American hot dogs, and they even bought us Coronas :). I'm excited to start teaching them English again every week!


Here's me with Kiara, one of the twins (Natan's niece). They've gotten so big and even cuter :)!!!


And lastly...according to my Dominican friends, I can now get married...not because I'm necessarily ready, but because even more importantly, I can cook rice :). Look at how delicious it looks, and even with perfect "con-con" (you'll have to visit to find out what that is)!


So, thanks for being faithful blog-readers. Please pray for me and my new kids this week as we get to know each other and the routines of the classroom. Also, pray for my health this year...I'm hopeful that it will be better than last year! Take care and keep in touch!

2 Comments:

Blogger BlueSkies said...

What a darling little house dear. I had no idea that it would be so cute. Do you have any yard? How much cooking are you doing,every night? Looking forward to the rice. Wish the visit loomed sooner but at present there just are no plans. I cannot wait to visit DR.
Your classroom looks bright and orderly so why the comment about messy? It will be a much easier task this year. Kind of like the second baby (your Mom was mine). We know better what to expect the second time around!!! :> Nice to hear you have an assistant. Is he new to the school? Where is his home? How is his Spanish? It must be assuring to know you don't have to keep the class going all alone. God bless and keep you. love GM

3:28 AM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Lindsay, I'm glad you like your new classroom. It's lookin' pretty sweet. Thanks for always taking time to leave messages on other people's blogs. We love getting messages.

3:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home