Welcome to my blog...I hope to have regular updates and pictures added here to show you what my life is like teaching here in the Dominican Republic.

Saturday, July 28, 2007

El Gusano en mi esofago

I said my "good-byes," went up the terminal holding back the tears, waited...and turned around. Not because I wasn't ready to go, but because my flights were delayed and I wouldn't make it "home" to the DR until tomorrow. So after lots of searching for different flights, I called my parents to come back and pick me up. I'm here in Ada one more night, getting ready to say "good-bye" once again early tomorrow morning.
-
Thanks to all of you that made my time here in the States complete. I'm excited to take all the new energy and excitement ya'll have given me through fun memories and good conversations to use in the DR. I'm excited to continue learning and processing what Nick and I talked about a lot; he posted this last week and puts to words what I'm feeling so perfectly. So through the "giant worm in my esophagus" :), I will say "adios" again, try to hold back more tears, but step off the plane 12 hours later and smell the DR air I've missed so much, and be with the people who are like family to me 11 months out of the year.

Here's how Nick described it...

Heaven on the Slopes
I have been processing the times that I have recently had with family over the past week and I think that the whole of my contemplation hinges on a conversation that I had with Lindsay late into the morning. While much of my studies has been bent towards the idea of being agents of the pursuit of heaven here and now, I have often been left, especially on Monday's (Ecclesiastes Monday), asking the question, "Where is heaven?". So as I have reflected upon the intangibility of heaven, especially in light of difficult circumstances within life, it has been a healthy exercise for me to remember that everything isn't as it should be... Or else, it would be, well... heaven. So as Lindsay and I talk, we are contemplating the reality of the Kingdom of Heaven here and now, and recognize that heaven (or the reign of God) is certainly near in the moments. Lindsay then began to talk about "limited time", and we remembered that in 24 hours we would once again be in much different places. We knew that we would be sad, and we recognized that there is something inherently wrong with being far away from family. The natural next question then filled the air... Would heaven still be near in those moments of distance?

Through all of the Christian jargon of calling (which is important when unabused), in the end, I want to be near to the people whom I love the most. Whether family in Texas, family and friends in Michigan, or family in the Dominican Republic, I want to be near to family. What I have been learning is that this longing is not one of selfishness, as I have thought previously. Rather this longing is one that represents how "it is supposed to be"... or... heaven. When the "supposed to be" is taken away, my feeling is that of sickness. I feel as if one has repeatedly punched me in the throat and placed a giant worm in my esophagus. I am learning that this sickness is not a bad thing, representative of unreality, or "unheaven", but rather representing that of one of the largest realities and a very near and tangible heaven. So approaching this question of heaven still being near in moments of distance, I am growing in hope. While heaven was certainly near on the porch at 2:00 AM with Lindsay, heaven is still near (both literally and metaphorically) when Lindsay went back to Michigan. It is almost as if God mysteriously speaks through the giant worm in reminding me that there is still work to be done. Not everything is as it should be. Through the reminder that heaven is not yet complete, God is then speaking through the present Kingdom of Heaven. "Now and not yet" both make sense to me this morning. And I am thankful that heaven is evident both in the nearness and in the sickness.

Here's me getting ready to eat my last steak until December with my Pops and best friend, Renee.


I will miss you all...come visit soon! Please pray for my transition back to be a smooth one, and that I stay healthy.

3 Comments:

Blogger BlueSkies said...

And therein lies the truth! Heaven, or a glimpse of it, in the company of a loved ones. Can you imagine the joy in our Lord when he knows that heaven is recognized?
God the father, merciful and just, has this gentle, caring love for all his children. Yet we turn away.
Adam (first man) and Eve (companion) tasted this gentle love and then acted out as we all do and lost this peace for the earthbound and rebelled. Now we can only taste the joy. It is the calling of believers to live within this "heaven" to the extent we can on this plane...so living, as to encourage others to seek it. It is not our calling to feel "sympathy" (which I believe is a dangerous emotion) but to feel a longing for all to know the love of our Heavenly Father.
There will be no enemies when we see rebellion and cruelty through the eyes of one who longs for ALL mankind to know this love, understanding the loss in those lives who have not yet come to know love and are yet disobedient to the call.
When a Christian utters a hateful remark concerning ANY, they have fallen short of "our calling".
I do not beleive a person "living in Christ, and Christ in him" can express hatred. Consider the Della Rosa and the Cross. No vengence, no recrimination, no condemnation, simply, they no not what they do.
There will be more and more believers understanding that we must pray for ALL to come to the knowledge of this compassionate love.
Therefore, we are called to live in that love. As we live in Christ his nature, not our earthly nature, will prevail. We are called to understanding and patience toward others. We are not called to be "Patsies", (taken advantage of) but we are called to love. That is what I hear in these dear words from our Nicholas.
Sorry you ran into confusion on the way to DR but you were meant to meet that new friend :>. Enjoy the next few months. God Bless GM

5:09 PM

 
Blogger Patrick said...

Lindsay,
You're right. You need to update your blog. Thanks again for posting comments on my blog. I appreciate it.

1:28 PM

 
Blogger BlueSkies said...

Buenas dias, nina dulce, como sta?
A que escuela comienza? Well I am trying! It will take some doing! How do you like your new home. Are you feeling OK? Are you eating well? GMa'is a lot like that, wanting to know how it is going. Hope to see a new entry soon. luv

8:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home