Welcome to my blog...I hope to have regular updates and pictures added here to show you what my life is like teaching here in the Dominican Republic.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Trabajo

Yes, sometimes I actually work :). It's fun posting the cool stuff about my life here...but I noticed that sometimes I forget to mention one of the main reasons I'm here - to teach my 16 crazy first graders every day. We just gave out report cards for the 1st quarter last week, I can't believe how fast the weeks are going! We also had parent-teacher conferences and they went really well. It was fun thinking about how my kids were on the first day of school, and seeing how far they've come in just 2 months. The most amazing part is hearing them speak more and more English. I need to start writing down some of the funny things they say, cause sometimes I just can't help but laugh, they are so darn cute! Please continue to pray for their growth, they are WAY below level in each subject, but there is still hope. I also try to remind myself that the education and love I'm giving them is 100 times better than they would be getting in the public schools, so that helps me be patient with their level.

Last week was one of my hardest here so far...I was very sick (again). I was real frustrated with my health, it really takes my passion away from wanting to be here with the kids and just here in general when I don't feel well. I had some kind of cold - cough/sore throat thing, and also a parasite. I took a great pill on Saturday that killed the parasite and any other amoeba-type thing that was in my body. I'm feeling so much better now, but know that I am very prone to catching things here in this country.

This past weekend I got to spend in Cabarete again, this time with my good friend Steph...it was great to get away and relax with her. I feel so blessed to have a friend that has known me for years here to share my experiences and heart with when we can see each other. Here's a picture of us on the beach, we spent a lot of time just chilling because the wind was wrong for windsurfing...so sad! I guess I'll just have to go back again soon, tough life :).


For a random taste of life in the DR, I got home Sunday night and went to do my laundry...here's the cute little mouse that was feliz contento in our washer. So funny! You never know what you're gonna see sometimes :).


5 Comments:

Blogger BlueSkies said...

hola Lindsay. To find the little mouse in the washer has got to be a first even in a place where unusal things are common. Did you "fish" him out, tether him and begin to train him for a pet? GM

11:02 PM

 
Blogger BlueSkies said...

hola Lindsay. To find the little mouse in the washer has got to be a first even in a place where unusal things are common. Did you "fish" him out, tether him and begin to train him for a pet? GM

11:02 PM

 
Blogger Mom and Dad Warnes said...

We can now comment on your blog!

10:59 AM

 
Blogger Mom and Dad Warnes said...

We like Nick's blog better...

11:02 AM

 
Blogger BlueSkies said...

Seems to me that each blog has it's own character and Character!! I love "seeing" how your lives are going. Keep it up!!!Yay Lindz, oh and by the way Tayyyyy Tigers, they are grrrreatttt, at least Sun.
More on that in someone elses blog. :.) GM

8:26 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home