Paraiso
Some of you had been asking for this...here's a clip of me jumping off near a waterfall in Jarabacoa :).
Who would have thought that I'd be so far away from "home," yet feel so at home? This country is like Paradise in so many ways. I love eating mangos, getting my hands and face all sticky like a little girl, but not worrying, just enjoying each bite, it gets stuck in my teeth, and I keep going, not wanting it to end. I love talking to people, I love greeting people with a kiss on the cheek. I love the sunshine, the waterfalls, the green, green, green of this piece of Paradise. I love all the fruit, all the people that invite me into their house. They are proud of the small houses where they live, want to welcome me into their home, into their lives. I love time to have real conversations here, to sit and invite people to be real with themselves and with God. Doors are always open...you don't realize how people are so disconnected in the States, until you experience a different life where everyone is so connected.This all sounds beautiful, but there is so much reality in my life here in this Paradise. Each day has a new challenge, and most mornings I wake up, not knowing how I'm going to get through it. It is not easy...I miss my family and friends every day and crave time with people that I don't have to "start from scratch" with. I miss the most simplest things from my life in MI...I miss cheese, I miss steak, I miss couches, carpet, fireplaces, dryers, Dr. Pepper, Oberon, air conditioning, the cottage, and selfishley, I miss getting what I want when I want it :). I have learned SO much, and have had to depend on God and other people in ways that I didn't have to where I was comfortable and "safe."
So, for some "less serious" thoughts, here's a picture of our dog, Lucy. I think she just learned how to bark last night, cause she didn't stop for over an hour!!!

Here's a pic of Katie and I making "sushi" :)...actually California rolls with avocado and cucumber...SO yummy, thanks Mom for the idea!

One last story...this week I was walking home and I was talking to this Dominican guy who was trying to get me to support this group that helps kids with drug problems. For the first time in my life...he didn't know that I was American. He asked me if I was Dominican...just from talking to me! He said, I looked "Gringa", but sounded Dominican. Haha, I felt pretty sweet :).
Okay yall, have a great week...I'm finally going to the beach next weekend, so you can think of me enjoying more of this piece of Paradise :).

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home