Welcome to my blog...I hope to have regular updates and pictures added here to show you what my life is like teaching here in the Dominican Republic.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Nuestra casa

Okay, I made it through another week...it was a HOT one, and I was feeling it, especially with my ADD kids in the afternoons :). Please pray that my management continues to improve...the kids can be crazy! Their English already seems to be coming along so that's been awesome to see, I love thinking how far they could potentially go in a whole school year.

I've had some requests for a picture of my house, so here you go. It's a very Dominican house...both the look and feel of it, we always have people visiting! I love the time sitting on our back porch, drinking some fresh-squeezed Chinola (passion fruit) juice from our yard, talking to people; sharing stories of our journeys.


I also feel so blessed to be living with 2 awesome women...here's a picture of us playing Scrabble. We play in Spanish so Maria Jose can play, but Grace always wins and I always come in second...kind of funny beating a Dominican in a game in her native tongue :).


One thing that comes with a Dominican house is an abundance of cockroaches. I've been pretty brave killing these dirty, disgusting creatures with my shoe lately, but I found one in our kitchen the other day that was too big to kill with my shoe. I tried to spray it with some stuff to kill it, they're SO fast though that he got away. I told Maria Jose about how big the cucaracha was and she said they call them gua gua's...which is what we call big vans or trucks here. So funny :), there was a gua gua in our kitchen!

So, there's a small taste of what my life in the Dominican Republic looks like. I'm off to another waterfall just outside of town right now, and am so excited to swim...I've been sweating ALL day :)!

3 Comments:

Blogger BlueSkies said...

I will search for a roach hotel. Think there is such a thing and maybe that will kill some of the nasty little critters for you. Anyway you look at it that is NOT a favorite creation.
The waterfall experience calls at my adventurous soul. I haven't had the JOY of riding one. Hope one day to be there and do that with you. Love you so much.
God Bless Gramma

6:26 PM

 
Blogger Justin and Dawn Beck said...

Lindz,
How funny to hear about the bugs you have there. It was SO amazing to hear your voice the day at the cottage. We missed you so much. I am glad you were able to get away for the weekend and deserve some much needed rest. I hope it refreshed you for this week and that Thursdays and Fridays become days that you look forward to. I love you, miss you, and think about you all the time.

6:07 PM

 
Blogger BlueSkies said...

Want to leap off a fall with you! Want to share that I too, beleive we miss sooooooo much in the states. We have become so protective of our privacy that we miss the joy of discovery.
I remember when we did have open doors. I remember when we did feed that man at the door. I remember the cool water of a fresh creek and the thrill of leaping in from the rocks.
So much joy, so little awareness.
It is sooo fine that you are given this beautiful experience.
Any knocks that come along will be cost well paid for the JOY. It must be so fine to be "heard" as a Dominican :>:>:>. Love you GM

4:44 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home