Welcome to my blog...I hope to have regular updates and pictures added here to show you what my life is like teaching here in the Dominican Republic.

Saturday, September 23, 2006

La Playa

So it's been a few weeks since I've updated, but it was for a valid reason...I finally went to the beach! We headed to Cabarete after school last Friday and spent the weekend laying on the beach, windsurfing, and eating amazing food. The beach has such a cool culture; a mix of surfers, hippies, Dominicans and Europeans. It was such a refreshing weekend, I didn't want to leave! But once we were back, it was good to be home. Here's a picture of the beach, and one of us eating dinner at Casanova (Roy, Laura, Joey, Sara, me, and Melanie).




The past few weeks at school have been progressively better. I've really been struggling with patience as my kids are learning English. They pretty much have the routines down which helps a lot, but man, explaining new things to them in English is SO hard! I also have a few boys in my class with some major behavior issues...please especially pray for a boy in my class named Nickyan.

My friends April and Juanpy (who I stayed with my first few weeks here) finally had their baby girl Amelia Leilani. Steph and I got to visit them in the hospital in Santiago the day after she was born, here's a few pics of us and the baby...SO cute!!!

Well, for the next fun plans, I am way excited for this coming Friday because my parents are coming to visit :), yay!!! We'll spend Fri-Wed. in Jarabacoa...I'll be showing them the cool sites, and what my life is like here, meeting my friends, hanging out in my classroom, etc. Then we'll head to the beach for the rest of the time (Thurs-Sun)...back to Cabarete and maybe a few day trips to Sosua and Puerto Plata. If you want to see the hotel where we were last week and where I'll stay with the 'rents, check out www.kaoba.com. Please pray for a safe trip for my parents, and that they'll feel as "at-home" here as I do :). I can't wait to see them and show them this place that I've been talking about for years!!!

1 Comments:

Blogger BlueSkies said...

What a blessing all this has been for you, and for us. To find you so "at home" in your new surroundings is so special. Would you believe that we tried to take Nick and Whitney to "Casanova" for dinner Sat evening? Hmmm, strange things occur! Well we couldn't get in so we wound up at another favorite of ours, "Little Napoli". Did you know they were with su late Fri--thru Sun morn? Our happy surprise!They did call ahead.
Hope we all can visit you in your special place someday. Luv GM

4:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home