Por fin!
So I finally got this blog set up after trying to figure out what the best way was to show ya'll pictures and tell you about my life here. Things in this country don't happen right when you want them to, so I'm learning lots of patience.
My first few weeks here were basically getting to know people, moving into my house, setting up my classroom and preparing curriculum. Here's a picture of April and Juanpy who I lived with my first two weeks.

I now live in a house with 2 women, Grace and Maria Jose...it's about a 10 minute walk from school so it's perfect, and they're awesome! Also, check out my sweet classroom...these pics were taken before the craziness of kids came :).


School started on Thursday the 17th, but I couldn't go since I was dying with an Amoeba (at least it felt like I was dying). I got good medicine from a doctor here in Jarabacoa and was feeling better by the next Monday so last week was my first week teaching. I have 16 kids that are so cute, and so full of energy. It's been a challenge so far since they understand VERY little English...again, I'm learning lots of patience! Here's a pic of them reading silently :).

Overall, I'm loving being back here in the DR. I've gotten to see a little more of this beautiful country that I now call home. We went to a place called 27 Waterfalls and got to climb/hike/swim up the first 15. My favorite part of going to the waterfalls here is jumping off them...sorry, Mom :). I've also been to lots of cool adventure sites here around town. Here's a pic of me at Salto Jimenoa last weekend. Hopefully the next time I write I can put a picture up of me at the beach...I'm still waiting for a chance to go for a weekend.

Well my family and friends, there's the basics of my first month here...God is good and has taken care of me so far. Though I miss home often, He has surrounded me with awesome people, and has taught me so much just by living in this culture and trying to love the people and kids here. I'll try to update this often, so check it out again soon. Hasta luego!

4 Comments:
Nice work with the blog. I will be a frequent visitor of your site. I loved the pictures of your classroom. Remember, if any of those kids give you too mcuh krap, God said... spare the rod and spare your love. Give them some loving from big brother!
4:40 PM
Second try! Not too skilled. But I really want you to know how special it is to see your smiling face. God has richly blessed us with such wonderful Grandchildren.
We will follow your blog and keep in touch. May God bless you with many rich and wonderful experiences
Our love to you. Gramma
1:24 AM
I changed the blog and now post as BlueSkies. Hope to be doing more on my site soon. Nothing much there as yet. Lots of love Gramma
1:57 AM
The site looks great and I am jealous that you were jumping off waterfalls. Wish I could be there with you. I know that your kids will love you and that you are going to do an amazing job. I will visit the site often so make sure to make lots of updates
12:23 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home