Cena de Navidad
My kids are speaking English (un chin)...my kids are learning (un chon)...and oh my goodness, my kids are loving! Christmas is coming quickly...rainy season is here in Jarabacoa, I'm ready for a vacation, I'm ready to see my family and friends in MI, but I know I'll miss my kids like crazy! How couldn't I when they say things in their brand-spanking new English like, "Me love you," and "Give me kiss," and instead of saying things like "Lots of kids are sick today" they say "Lots are sex today." Haha, they make me laugh more and more every day :).

Here's a picture of one of the ninth graders teaching my kids about alternative sources of electricity. Here in the DR, the amount of electricity we have during the day (and night) is very little. It's just part of life here..."se fue la luz" is said at least 5 times a day (the lights went out). Thankfully, as the lack of electricity is a frustrating reality in this developing country, I have an invertor at my house which means I always have lights...BUT when the "street lights" are off or when "se vaya la luz", then I don't have hot water, a functioning washing machine, refrigerator, etc. So, to make a long story short, this is something I've gotten used to here...but I will for sure appreciate having electricity at all hours of the day for three weeks in the States.
Last weekend we had our Christmas dinner for our Scholarship kids and their families. This was so refreshing for me to spend time with the families of my 8 kids that are sponsored...these families have SO little, they are so poor, but they make my life here so much more complete. My favorite part of the night was dancing Merengue with all 8 of them :). Here's a picture of Steffany, Alberlin and I. (Alberlin was my Dad's buddy...can you see why?!?)


4 Comments:
Lindz,
How fun it is to see your kids. They are so beautiful! You too, look great and I can't wait to see you. Just over a week before you'll be back in town. We can't wait to see you. We have SO much to talk about. I'm glad to hear your kids are speaking english so well and I am sure you are impacting them much more than you think. I wish I could tell you that I loved you each day in person! See you soon.......
10:21 AM
Isn't it crazy how fast that time went??? I feel like we were just saying adios in the ol GRap airport. It is always good to see pictures of your smiley face!
1:06 PM
It would be cool to see you over the holidays. I like hearing your stories. Keep them coming.
11:02 PM
I keep promising myself that I will speak a bit of spanish and respond to you with my restored 2nd language but here it is five months later and still all english. Oh well
Will think of you in GR enjoying the northern climate, brrrrr. Bet you really feel the change!!! Have a great trip and we will talk soon. your kids are great!! Will you teach us Merengue? God Bless GM
2:13 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home